Top Five Inexpensive Gift Ideas for Surfers
1. Stocking Stuffer - Surf wax and a wax comb combo is a perfect and very inexpensive way to stoke out a surfer. Every surfer could use a couple of extra bars of wax and this will be a small gift they are sure to use. (In case you are wondering what a wax comb is, it is a piece of plastic that is roughly in the shape of a comb, and one side of the comb has saw tooth like edges to rough up old wax, and the other side is a wax scraper used to remove old wax off your surfboard.) Brand recommendation: I like Sticky Bumps, but most surfers won't care to much about which brand you get them, at least for a few sessions before they re-apply new wax. Since it is winter time, I would also recommend purchasing cold water wax unless you are in a warm water area like Hawaii or Florida. But your local surf shop will be able to help you choose the right surf wax.
|Surf Wax and Wax Comb Combo - $1.00 for a bar of wax, and $2.00 or so for the wax comb|
2. Leash Law - A new Surf Leash is something every board rider already has, but we could always use a new one. Even though the leg rope we currently have works just fine, the Velcro usually has heaps of sand, lint, and dirt stuck into it, and will not grip as securely as a new one does. Velcro gets worn out over time, and getting a new surf leash usually isn't to high on the priority list of new surf equipment to purchase. Also surf leashes get stretched out after numerous sessions, especially if you frequently ride in larger conditions. Size recommendation: Surfers who ride a short board will want a 6' long leash, and long boards generally use an 8' or bigger leash.
|Surf Leash - Starting at $19.99 to $39.99, Available at your local surf shop|
3. Well Read - A good book is a great way to spend your free time when the surf is flat. Here are a couple of novel recommendations that I have read, and I know any surfer will enjoy. "The Wave: In Pursuit of the Rogues, Freaks, and Giants of the the Ocean," by Susan Casey. "The Wave" is about big waves, how they are formed, captain's tales of rogue waves, and of course the surfers who ride them. A great true story, and gripping first hand accounts of encounters with big waves. The second book I recommend is "In Search of Captain Zero: A Surfer's Road Trip Beyond the End of the Road," by Alan Weisbecker. This is a surfer's memoir of an epic odyssey through Mexico to Costa Rica via land. Of course he gives an awesome narrative of foreign off the grid surf breaks, and all the characters he encounters along the way. This books makes you want to drop everything, pack the truck, and head out on the highway in search of surf.
|"The Wave" & "In Search of Captain Zero" - Both books on Amazon.com for under $14.00|
|Men's Surf Beanie - Starting at $12.00 - $30.00, available at your local surf shop|
5. Home is where the Heart Is - A Gone Surfing throw pillow will add a little aloha to his or hers home decor. You don't need to change the entire theme of their bedroom, or living room, you can simply toss this gender neutral basic navy decorative pillow anywhere in the room. This primary color will blend in with your current design scheme, and add some of the owner's personality to their personal space. With an wood button enclosure on the back, even the messiest surfer can clean these pillows with his regular laundry. This is a fun and unique gift that is available at our company web store or online at Amazon.com.
|Gone Surfing Throw Pillow - $24.99 Available at www.deanmillerprints.com|
We hope this helps make your holiday shopping a little easier in finding that perfect gift for any surfer you know. Here are a few honorable mentions in case you still need a little more creative thought, or have a whole brood of surfers to shop for!
A Few Honorable Mentions:
1. Surf Magazine subscription - Surfer Magazine and Surfing Magazine are the biggest publications in the industry, and prices are generally about $12.00 a year.
2. Sunscreen and Beach Towel combo - Surfers are always in the sun even when its cloudy out, so get a good water proof lotion, I recommend the Headhunters brand available at most surf shops. And we could always use a new beach towel, mine is pretty crusty sitting in the back of the truck!
3. Surf Video - Surf videos are something I never really spend my money on, but always love to watch them. So the only way I would really own one is as a gift, and I love getting them! Your local surf shop will probably have the latest video out, before it hits the You Tube channels.